Skip to main content

Burning Regulations

Open Burning is regulated by the Utah Division of Air Quality (DAQ) and is a source of air pollution. There are statewide rules in place that regulate open burning activities to help minimize emissions and ensure that the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQX) are met. Modifications to burning rules occurred in 2013 and were issued by Utah State Division of Air Quality. These changes include a statewide requirement to obtain a Utah Division of Air Quality's online Open Burn Permit Application.

May contain: helmet, person, wheel, and machine
Open Burn Windows are tentatively:
Spring: March 30th - May 31st
Fall: September 15th - October 30th

There are three types of burning.
(Open, Agricultural, & Recreational)


The DAQ rules governing Open Burning can be found in the:

Utah Administrative Code (UAC) R307-202. This Rule allows residential open burning of:  "Clippings, bushes, plants, and pruning's from trees incident to property and residential clean-up activities."  


The Utah Division of Air Quality's Online Open Burn Permit Application MUST be completed and issued by the DAQ before burning.


airshed clearing index

Click to view the Airshed Clearing Index.
(Clearing index by airshed tab)

Once a permit is obtained, the clearing index must be above 500 (we are Airshed 5)

 General Rules:

  • When burning is not on the same day the permit is issued or the permit is for more than one day, the applicant must notify Davis Dispatch [801 451-4150] on each burning day.
  • Open Burn Permits will be issued for two (2) weeks and are valid only on the lands specified in the permit.
  • ​Permit is required to be on-site at the time of the burn with a person(s) monitoring the burn.
  • All materials to be burned must be clearly described and quantified in the application.
  • ​Applicants must be aware of any and all local, state, and federal rules and regulations applicable to their area.

Residential Open Burning:

**NOTICE**  Non-Recreational "OPEN" burning is NOT permitted within Sunset City Limits. 


Residential Open Burning Rules: 

  • The Clearing index must be 500 or greater. (Check the link above, Airshed 5)
  • A DAQ Permit must be obtained and the permit must be on site.
  • the burning mateial MUST be vegetation type.  (Example: Tree limbs/trimmings, leaves, and grass clippings).  
  • Burn in small piles (3' diameter x 2' high).
  • Burning must be 50 feet from any structure.
  • Fires must be constantly attended to by a responsible adult.
  • Method of extinguishment must be on site, such as garden hose connected to the water source; fire extinguisher with a 4A rating; shovels and buckets.
  • ​The use of accelerants is prohibited. (NO gasoline, kerosene, lacquer, or other petroleum products)


burn permit application

Click to access the Burn Permit Application.
The Airshed Clearing Index must be above 500 to obtain a burn permit.

May contain: neighborhood, person, fire, flame, grass, and plant

Agricultural Burning:


 During the CLOSED Fire Season:  (June 1st - October 30)

  • Agricultural burning of "Fencelines or Ditch/Canals"  is PERMITTED with notification made to nearest Fire Department having jurisdiction.
  • Other Agricultural Burning Areas (Not a Fenceline or Ditch/Canal) a PERMIT/BURN WAIVER IS REQUIRED from the County Fire Warden of County Sheriff.

During the OPEN Fire Season: (November 1st - May 31st)

  • Agricultural burning PERMITTED with notification made to nearest Fire Department having jurisdiction. 

 Agricultural Open Burning is defined by the Utah State Code 11-7-1(2) as: “..the burning of irrigation ditches, fields, or fence lines.”

Utah State Tax Code 59-2-503 defines agricultural land as; "Land being over 5 acres in size used for agricultural purpose. 


Requirements for Agricultural Open Burning:

  • Must be Zoned for Agricultural use.
  • Have 2 acres of cultivated land -OR- A fruit orhard with 25 or more trees. 
  • Be limited to "Organic Items," which are incidental and essential to the agricultural operation. 
  • Have land used for farming and crop production.
  • Have land used for livestock grazing.
  • To be conducted during daylight hours only.
  • Must be constantly attended by a responsible adult.
  • Must be kept 50 feet from all structures.
  • Must have a means to extinguish or control the fire.

 - Agricultural Open Burning can burn:  Fence lines on Cultivated Property, Ditch Banks, Stubble Fields, Weeds    when clearing land to be planted and trimmings from fruit trees when in conjunction with an orchard.

 - Agricultural burning does not require a burn permit and does not need to observe the clearing index of 500.      however, it is strongly encouraged that the agricultural community observes the 500-clearing index.

- It is required to notify the North Davis Fire District Deputy Fire Marshal, Mike Rawlings, and the Davis County Fire Warden, Robert Sanders.

If your property does not meet these qualifications, please follow the guidelines for OPEN BURNING listed above.

Please fill out the following form before starting your agricultural burn:
There was a problem saving your submission. Please try again later.
Please wait while your submission is being saved...
Thank you, your submission has been received.












Please call or email before any Agriculture burning is done.

·        NDFD Deputy Fire Marshal Mike Rawings 801 525-2850 ex102 


·        Davis County Fire Warden August Foreman 385 264-2428 

For further information or assistance, please contact the North Davis Fire District Fire Prevention Office at 801 525-2850 or visit

Recreational Burning:

The DAQ rules governing permissible recreation burning can be found in the Utah Administrative Code (UAC) R307-202-6. This Rule allows open burning without a permit when NOT prohibited by other local, state, or federal laws and regulations: 

"Preparing food, controlled fires for recreational purposes, indoor fireplaces and residential solid fuel devices (exceptions UAC 307-202-2)."

Recreational Burning:

  • Devices for the primary purpose of preparing food, such as outdoor grills and fireplaces.
  • Campfires & Fires used solely for recreational purposes where such fires are under control.
  • Attended by a responsible person, 18 years or older.
  • Approved fire rings; firepits (3 feet diameter).
  • Area clear of any debris or overhanging branches.
  • 25 feet from a structure or combustible materials.
  • Only clean, dry wood or charcoal NO TRASH OR YARD WASTE.
  • An immediate source of extinguishment is available.

Indoor fireplaces and residential solid fuel burning devices except as provided in UAC R307-302-2

NOTE: If smoke is offensive to occupants of surrounding property, or the fire is determined to be hazardous, the fire then becomes a public nuisance and must be extinguished.